The Mojo & The Mundane
Somewhere between retiring and
returning home; between becoming a pensioner and a forever-stay-at-home wife
and mom, I slowly lost my marbles, my mojo, and the Nariman who kicked ass on
the daily.
It took all
of nine months to strip away the layers built over decades, leaving behind a
blank, albeit older, slate.
Is it comfort
that has dulled me? Is it boredom? Or is it the stubborn grey hair sprouting
like weeds, abundant and rampant across my head, often accompanied by headaches
and that peculiar heaviness that settles into your bones? Or is it the belly
fat refusing to budge, rounded and protruding despite shapewear and all sorts
of desperate measures? Enter the heavy breasts resting low against the ribs,
until somehow nothing fits quite right anymore.
Reining in
the sensual is easy when you start to believe your days of being sexy are over.
Especially when you turn into the pensioners’ bay at the mall and exit the car
with dodgy knees and hips that crackle like crisp packets in a quiet cinema.
What is it that
other people see, I wonder, as I rub the sleep from my eyes? I flip on the
selfie camera and press record.
Can I still
pout? Do these eyes still know how to lock someone in? And these breasts—do
they crinkle and fold now, cleavage looking more like wrinkled bedding than
crisp white sheets? And how does the neck even do that? Fold upon fold, like a
concertina.
I press
record again. I stare deep into imaginary eyes, holding a gaze, whispering
words soft as breath. I laugh. I flirt. Then I press play and see what sexy
actually looks like at sixty.
Should sexy
even be something I still do at sixty?
The truth is,
sexy isn’t a performance. It isn’t just youth or narrow beauty standards. It is
the confidence you carry and the chemistry you fuel in the most ordinary
moments of everyday life.
It isn’t a
posed video or a body draped over an armchair for the male gaze. It is the soft
touch when he reaches for your hand. It is the wildness in his eyes when he
looks at you. It is the early-morning kisses as dawn finds you tangled together
in crumpled bedding. And it is this body, no longer firm, no longer entirely
flexible, that still finds deep pleasure in being loved.
Perhaps sexy at sixty isn’t about looking like the woman I once was. Perhaps it is about finally celebrating the woman I have become.
Comments
Post a Comment