MIND MATTERS
I have overthinking down to an art
form. Years of practice have cemented this habit in my mind, and now that I
have officially reached 60—those golden years, whether tarnished, plated, or
real—they have arrived, and they aren’t going anywhere. But what does it all
mean? Well, as a newly retired ‘pensioner’, I find myself in a bit of a
tailspin. I am no longer young, but not entirely old either, and depending on
the weather, I can feel both marginally youthful and entirely ancient within
the span of the same week.
Don’t get me wrong; I know not
everyone gets this privilege. Yet somehow, I have not quite figured out who
‘Nariman Pensioner-Parker’ is. I swear I can still see that naughty glint in my
eye, hear my rambunctious laugh, and feel the back-slapping glee I find in the
smallest pleasures. However, just beneath the surface lie the fears associated
with ageing: health concerns, the accelerating passage of time towards the
finish line, and the fear of being completely invisible and never feeling
desirable or inspired again.
These thoughts play on a loop—not because I am hankering after my youth or carefree days, but because I
am confused about what growing older looks like for me and whether I will ever
stop feeling at odds with time.
So, how do I redefine what ageing
could mean in a way that feels both empowering and motivational? Perhaps being
less rational and more emotional and spiritual about this chapter is the
answer.
Like most people, there is a reel
playing inside my head every day: scenes from yesterday, conversations I wish
had gone differently, memories I revisit, imagined futures, old fears, new
dreams, moments of joy I wish I could replay, and moments of pain I wish I
could edit out. My mind is constantly creating, remembering, interpreting, and
narrating. Somewhere within those endless reels is a voice speaking directly to
me.
The question is: What is that voice saying?
Is she an understanding friend or a harsh critic? For so many of us, our inner
dialogue is far less kind than the way we speak to the people we love. Yet when
it comes to ourselves, we so easily become our own worst enemies.
Imagine what could change if I spoke
to myself with the same compassion I offer others. So, let’s try listening to
my fears with gentleness, reminding myself of the strength and courage it took
to get here. It is this same mindset that will help me thrive through the
challenges and blessings of growing older.
Learning to distinguish between
reality and the stories I tell myself about my current situation is a powerful
form of freedom.
Don’t let one point of view become the
whole story. Every great story contains difficult scenes. The path becomes
unclear and unstable, and there are moments when I have no idea what will come
next.
A meaningful life isn’t one without
difficulties. It is one in which I learn how to move through them. So, instead
of always asking, “Why NOW when there is still so much I want to do?” perhaps I
should ask, “How do I want to show up in this stage of my life?”
Maybe it is time to become the hero of
my own story! I can do it scared and still take the next step. Maybe I can
finally start to ask for advice and help about unexplainable body aches,
medications, and health/life hacks for the fast ageing, haha… So many maybes…
I’m praying on these ‘maybes’ because
I have no clue. But I’ve decided that I am definitely silencing my bitchy inner
voice that keeps spouting things like wrinkles and grey hairs and wobbly
bits, yuck, and firming up my sense of humour because there is no way we
are getting out of this alive. I’m going to enjoy my extra padding, let the
stubborn greys fly, and always carry tweezers with me for those dodgy chin
hairs, lol.
I pledge to finally say no to things I am no longer interested in doing, to
forgive myself for my shortcomings and my demons, and to not give up on myself or others.
Perhaps real self-belief isn’t the certainty that everything will work out exactly as we want it to; perhaps it is accepting things as they are and finding gratitude within them. If we spend our days focusing on everything that is wrong, everything we lack, everything we fear, and every way we believe we fall short, it becomes easy to forget how beautiful life is at any age.
I can look at my older self and see someone touched by time, or I can choose to see someone grounded in the truth of who I have worked so hard to become.
And that, my friends, should take my breath away.
I keep forgetting to bring my tweezers everywhere with me. The car has perfect mirrors that highlight chin hairs.
ReplyDeleteI know, I know, we must count our blessings. 😂🪷💜
Haha don't we, not for the faint hearted lol
DeleteMine is also close on hand.. Tweezers that is
DeleteHaha hopefully I don't forget too often😂
DeleteIt's the dodgy chin hairs for me! I feel seen :D
ReplyDeleteHaha ...as seen as that stubborn chin hairs at an important event😅
DeleteNariman, such a beautiful, honest, funny and deeply relatable read.
ReplyDeleteYou somehow managed to make ageing sound like a combination of a spiritual awakening, an identity crisis and a full-on battle with chin hairs!
I love the reminder that we get to decide how we show up in this next chapter.
We may have a few more wrinkles, a few stubborn greys, some extra padding and body parts that have clearly stopped taking instructions… but we also have wisdom, stories, courage, humour and the absolute right to say “NO” without an explanation.
And that bit about the voice in our heads really hit home. Maybe the goal isn't to silence every fear, but to stop letting that inner critic have the microphone all day. We’ve earned the right to be kinder to ourselves.
So for you who's 60 and fabulous, slightly confused, occasionally creaky, spiritually evolving and still a little bit wild..
And so everyone says... Aging is a blessing hmmmm
You see me 🥰 So blessed to have you on my team - your biggest fan here too hun xoxo
Delete